The Myths of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky is an outstanding resource. It dispels all the myths we hear ourselves say about why we are not happy or how we will be happy when — and she does it using excellent research.
Here is my suggestion:
1) Buy the Book! The Myths of Happiness
2) Read the Introduction.
3) Look at the chapter headings and pick the myth — or myths — you have been living by (or, actually, myths you have been using to hold yourself back from living).
4) Do the exercises suggested to help yourself (that is the self-help part) get over yourself.
5) Experience greater well-being and happiness (okay, so it is not that easy but if you don’t start somewhere you will never get anywhere other than where you are now — and you let me know how that is working for you).
6) Watch we screw up Sonja’s last name on TV!